Saturday, August 22, 2009

Post 3- Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

I agree with Sir Ken Robinson. I have always believed that our schools should have more creativity in them. Even high school. Alot of teachers seem to stay clear of colorful materials, bulletin boards, and alot of things that make a classroom a classroom if you ask me. I have always wanted to bring that feeling that you get when you are in elementary school (if you are blessed and get at least one really good teacher like I did) to the high school scene minus the babyish techniques. I understand that their are boundaries. There is a certain sense of nurturing that these children need even when they are in high school and I feel as though alot of teachers today are quick to just hand out a worksheet and be done with it. Not me. I want to TEACH and to me TEACHING is being CREATIVE. Students need to feel as though someone there cares if they pass or fail, someone to find there inner stregnths and help them progress with those stregnths as well as their weaknesses, and someone that gives them something with depth- something that makes them go home and think about it. I love it when I learn something new. I can count on one hand the teachers that taught me something that has stuck with me throughout my life. Those are the teachers that I remember and that I can thank for helping reflect in me what I wanted to be when I grew up- a teacher like them; a teacher that taught someone something worth remembering. There are many characteristics that teachers can pick up on with a student if they take them time to listen and pay attention to what is going on in their classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment