Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Post 12: "It's Not about the Technology" by Kelly Hines

After reading Kelly Hines blog about technology and the 21st century teacher, I happened to scroll down a bit and see Dr. Strange's comment on her blog. I agree with him; the 21st century teacher would include a teacher who is technology savvy. My mother just learned how to do basic navigation on a computer- she was proud of herself (and I must admit I was too), when she learned how check her email and then I was just flat out astonished when she called me at work to learn how to set up a facebook account. She is 23 years older than me and much more knowledgeable, but I know way more about technology than she does. Kids these days are surrounded by computers, video games, i-pods, and more. Our parents were not. As time passes, technology is taking over more and more so in order to be a 21st century teacher, we are going to have to keep up with the Jones's of technology. Let me note that this does not make you a "good" teacher, it just makes you a better teacher because you are learning as you go and staying on the same level with your students. You can't just stick to your old self- the things that were taught to you while you were in school and that is it. You have to keep learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment