Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Post 24: Dear Kaia

Photo credit-Singing Hearts
Kaia is a little girl who's father took her outdoors and let her observe and take things in through a different light- a beautiful one. Her father is a school teacher and had recently read The Last Child in The Woods, which is ironic because I wrote about that book in my last post. The book encouraged him to take his daughter outdoors more and so he did. She even took pictures of various things outside their home and the father uploaded them for her to look at on the computer. He posted about the adventure on his twitter account and a teacher here in the states viewed it and showed it to his classroom. The father actually Skype'd in and answered some of the student's questions, which was really nice of him.

I thought "Dear Kaia" was a really neat idea and I was inspired by this father who longed and put forth effort to be a part of his daughter's life. He spent time with her and it was so sweet. I also enjoyed reading his personal blog and plan to follow it. I express his same concerns about making our children available on the worldwide web. Are we putting them in danger?

Looking at this assignment makes me wonder what things my son will be doing when he is school. The technology that will be available is beyond anything I can imagine. I already can't believe the things I am learning in this classroom and will be able to use with my classroom one day.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Emily. Where is your working link for this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Averitt- my working link is the very first word in the entry. :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete